Registration for Summer is now closed. For questions, here are ways to contact us:
- By email: email@example.com,
- By leaving a voice message on our message service hotline at (707) 238-4723, or
- By accessing our Live Chat Service (M-F, 9am-4pm) via our website at seie.sonoma.edu
No Formal Admission Required
Open Door is a registration policy whereby students who have not been formally admitted to Sonoma State may participate in Summer Session and Winter Intersession academic credit courses.
Open University/Door may be right for you if you:
- missed the deadline for admission to SSU degree programs
- want to update your professional training and job skills
- want to explore personal interests
- want to test your interest in a field before entry
- have been academically or administratively disqualified at SSU or another CSU
1. Choose the class you wish to enroll in. (see current class schedule)
2. Complete the online Open Door Late Registration Form (will be available at 8am, May 17, Monday at 8 AM PDT - Friday 3 PM PDT only).
Open Door is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Completing a registration form does not guarantee registration for the class.
Students are responsible for fulfilling all course prerequisites (see below).
If departmental approval is required, please contact the appropriate academic department to seek approval. (Due to Covid restrictions, you must contact all academic departments via email at this time.)
3. If approved to enroll in the course, you will receive a confirmation email with payment instructions within 1-2 business days. Payment is due upon notification. Failure to make timely payment within 24 hours may result in significant processing delays and/or the denial of your registration. (Payment instructions for non-SSU students use only)
4. Once payment is received you will receive a final confirmation within 2–3 business days with information about how to access course materials.
If you need accommodations, the Disability Services for Students office is located at Schulz 1014A (left of the IT Help Desk) or by phone at (707) 664-2677 (dial 711 for Relay).
While the pre-requisites for many courses are waived during Winter Intersession and Summer Session, Open Door registration for some courses is subject to the approval of the associated academic department. If a course has pre-requisites listed in the course description, please check with the academic department to see if you meet the requirements.
Please note: all prospective Open Door students wishing to enroll in Business Department classes will need department approval.
Open Door registration is open to permanent residents and those maintaining valid non-immigrant visa status, including, but not limited to F-1/F-2 student visa and J-1/Au Pair visa holders. Sonoma State University will not issue immigration documents for attendance through Open Door registration.
Students must demonstrate proof of English proficiency by one of the following options:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): A minimum score of 61 for undergraduate courses or 80 for graduate courses is required. Sonoma State's ETS code is 4723.
- IELTS (International English Language Test System): A band score of 6.0 will be accepted in lieu of TOEFL for undergraduate students.
- TOEFL/IELTS is not required of those who have studied full-time for three or more years at the secondary level or above at an institution where English is the principal language of instruction. Official transcripts are required.
International students must also obtain written approval from the International Student Advisor, located in the Center for International Education in International Hall, prior to enrolling through Open Door.
Matriculated students (admitted to SSU) or students who have previously attended SSU who have been academically disqualified may enroll in Summer Session and Winter Intersession courses through Open Door registration.
Open Door enrollment fees are due at the time of registration. Undergraduate class fees are $350/unit. Graduate class fees are $400/unit.
Drops, Withdrawal, and Refunds
Non-attendance does not constitute withdrawal. Intersession and Summer Session classes may be dropped for a full refund up until the last business day before the 1st day of instruction. Students may drop on the 1st or 2nd day of instruction for a 65% refund. The last day to withdraw is the 3rd day of instruction; a grade of W (Withdrawn) will appear on your SSU record and there will be no refund.
Open Door students must contact SEIE Customer Service to drop a class.
Grade Mode Change
Some courses have an option for students to receive a letter grade or Cr/NC; otherwise, the course description in the catalog will specify. Students may change their grade mode up to the end of the 2nd day of instruction, using the form at the SEIE office.
Open Door students receive Special Sessions academic credit for courses numbered 100–599; please note that Special Sessions credit does not meet degree residence requirements. In the CSU, up to 24 units of Special Sessions academic credit may be applied toward a Baccalaureate degree. Nine units may be applied toward a Master's degree (subject to departmental approval). Please consult with your home institution about how SSU Intersession/Summer Session academic units will apply to your degree.
Grades & Transcripts
All University rules and regulations pertaining to grades and transcripts apply to Open Door students; see University grading policies.
Open Door enrollment grades are available by requesting either an unofficial or an official transcript from the Sonoma State University Registrar’s Office. Unofficial transcripts may be requested in person only at the Registrar’s Office. Official transcripts may be requested by submitting a transcript request form to the Registrar’s Office.
Please note that Open Door students will not have access to online student services except for their Canvas online classroom space (if your class is using one).